Tuesday, December 21, 2010

MIT Systems Design & Management

This year I wrapped up my first of two years in MIT's Systems Design and Management (SDM) program on my way to a masters of science degree.  SDM is a joint degree from MIT's Engineering Systems Division and Sloan School of Management; I describe the program as an engineering management degree.  For me, SDM is a 24 month program.  I have been completing the degree remotely while I retain my full-time employment status.

Normally SDMer's start their program with a boot camp in January.  Because of unusual circumstances, I have my boot camp experience at the beginning of the second year of the program.  For January I will be spending full time on campus completing a few courses and participating in various design challenges, professional development sessions, and cohort building exercises.  The required courses include a review of statistics and probability and a course on the human side of technology; if I can fit it in I plan to take another course on technical writing.

The last year of the program has been a very positive experience, even with the required juggling of work, family, and school.  The classes have been everything one would expect from MIT.  So far my courses have included product design & development, real-options in engineering systems, systems engineering, systems architecture, concepts of supply chains, systems project management, and engineering analysis and design.  The projects completed during the classes have been challenging and (I think) beneficial to a better understanding of various systems.  I'll plan to write a few follow-up blog posts on the projects:
  • Use of Real-Options to Value Vehicle Telemetry Designs
  • Multi-attribute Utility Applied to Integration of Bio-alcohols into Existing Distribution Infrastructure
  • Use of Design Structure Matrix and Work Transformation to Plan Diesel After-Treatment Calibration Projects
If any is more interesting to you, just post a comment and I'll plan to comment on it sooner rather than latter.

Over the next year I have many more Sloan (aka management) courses to complete, a few ESD courses, and a thesis to write (of which I am still trying to settle on a topic).  I'll work to keep everyone updated as the next weeks and months unfold.

Cheers, Hank

No comments:

Post a Comment